I’m Doan Phuong Nguyen. I love reading good books, writing fiction for kids and young adults, cuddling with my shih tzus and calico cat, and playing with my adorable (human) baby. My life is a little messy and chaotic, but I love it!
I’m married to my soul mate and childhood sweetheart (definitely going to write a chick-lit about our love story at some point.)
I was born in Vietnam and immigrated to the United States when I was in elementary school. I’ve lived in the South most of my life, and now I’ve settled in the Midwest.
Fun Facts About Me:
- I am an original Hanson fan (since ’97) and will love them until I die.
- My first dog (that I only got to keep for a day when I was 10) was a black lab named “Mmmbop.”
- My favorite ice cream flavor is mint chocolate chip, and I could eat a tub of it every day!
- I wrote my first picture book at age 7, starring me as a superhero. It was called “Super Phuong” (yes, so creative, right?)
- When I get stressed out, I bake cakes.
- “Tristan and Isolde” is my favorite story of all time, and I’ve probably watched every movie based on that tale.
- Since no one could pronounce my name growing up, I racked up a lot of nick names — Dawn, Zoe, D.P., Donnie to name a few.
I’m represented by Sara Megibow of KT Literary.
I also have a MFA in Writing from VCFA (Vermont College of Fine Arts), and I’m a longtime member of SCBWI.